Wednesday 27 April 2011

Final Reflective Blog

I can’t believe that we are at the end of this task it seems like yesterday when I was stressing about blogging and asking what the heck is ‘blogging’? With everything that we have faced throughout the semesters I approached this as I have everything else, chill-laxing with an open mind ready to do my best, but nervous and worried never the less. To my surprise blogging was quite painless, I clicked to the workings of everything, with a special thanks to Nicole, and before I knew it I was blogging, Hooray!
I was even more surprised by how interesting this whole process has been and the knowledge and understanding that I have gained from my colleagues views and personal reflection. Every class for people, places, things and events has been a space for collective collaboration regardless of the topic. Whether the class talked about situations, learning outcomes, possible extensions or how to post a blog, there was sharing and learning through communication. Everything we were doing was what we document our children doing daily, learning through social interactions, and personally I got a lot from it. This draws on the principals of Vygotsky’s socio-cultural theory where he “believed that complex mental activities have there origins in social interaction” (Berk, 1996, p. 165). This class has taught me using the principals that we use to teach our children.
This draws from “Te Whāriki” which “states that in order to participate in this world, our children will need confidence to develop their own perspectives as well as the capacity to continue acquiring new knowledge and skills” (Smorti, 1999, p. 5). Although Te Whāriki’s framework is desired aspirations for children from birth to eight, the principals and ideals, are applicable to all people in our society. The Te Whāriki curriculum is based on bi-cultural beliefs and ideals of Bronfenbrenner and Vygotsky with a learning environment that,
emphasises the critical role of socially and culturally mediated learning and of reciprocal and responsive relationships for children with people, places, and things. Children learn through collaboration with adults and peers, through guided participation and observation of others, as well as through individual exploration and reflection (Ministry of Education, 1996, p. 9).

Vygotsky’s theory is very relevant to education in Aotearoa as we have a bi-cultural history and multi-cultural world. The considerations Vygotsky makes regarding culture fit better with Maori and Pasifika concepts and culture and consider all other cultures. Vygotsky’s idea of scaffolding is very similar to a Maori ideal called Tuakana-Teina the teacher and the child. The big difference is that Maori do not believe that it has to be someone older, acknowledging learning can come from two people who share different knowledge. There are always learning opportunities regardless of age or position.   
The topic of technology did a big shift in my way of thinking as I worked on my blogs. Even after Tamar established in the first class that technology is not just about shiny, expensive plug in gadgets it still took a while to stick. I was concerned that I did not have the opportunities of using technology with my toddler group to write blogs to share. However, very quickly, the readings and work of my classmates clarified the extent and range of technology tools available today. It dissolved the false ideals I had that the blogs would require settings with computers to be plugged in to technology. With this knowledge I looked at the experiences that our toddler group have had and realise technology is a daily part of what we do. Whether it is in the sandpit cooking or digging, sculpting with play dough, building and creating with blocks or role playing with props, our children use technology everyday.  It is with this new knowledge that I recognise most of our daily tools, like pens, paper, pegs, newspaper and crayons, are technology tools.  
This course has made me more aware of just how clever and conscious children are of the technology around them. My first blog documented AM and how natural she looked taking a phone call and message while she tapped away on the keyboard. With this blog as with all the other blogs, there was a reflective process when writing. For example the photos of AM were some of many I had taken through out the morning. Although I noted AM was at the table with the keyboards and phones it wasn’t until I was going through the photos later that I saw just how professional she looked. I spent several years in call centres and AM fit the part to a tee. AM displayed the influence of her families world, more directly role playing her mothers job. This draws on Bandura’s theory that believes we are a product of what we see in our environment as we learn, grown and develop. Likely our behaviours and responses will mirror how we have seen others treated. In further talks with AM’s mother I was told at home AM uses the computer to play games and type, her Dad still takes AM to her Mum’s work on a regular basis, and AM has, an uses her own cell-phone, to take photos when she is out. With all this knowledge, and with reflection, I recognise just how savvy AM is with her technological skills. 
An incident that I saw with my niece highlighted to me the grasp of technology children have. At 3years old TBG wanted to go to the shop for lollies. Dad said “Oh I will take you to the shop but how will you pay T?” TBG went straight over to her Mum’s bag and took out her purse focused on her mission. A minute later she said “K, lets go Dada” and with a smile she held up a plastic ATM/EFT pos card.

Emily I thank you for your thoughts which I support completely, and realise it is really rewarding to get feedback from your fellow classmates and collaegues. Many thanks to Nicole's feedback noting that children can get stimulation from a simple activity. Again I found I was rewarded by your thoughts and observations of the story which give me more thoughts and views. To Annie I totally agree with the mulitple benefits of a toy like leggo for complete holisitc growth and development. Regarding your comment about seeing a butterfly hatch, we did do that. One of the children has a swan plant at home with butterfly cocoons and has brought a couple in to daycare. The children had the chance to observe them until they hatched which created a real buzz of excitement. Annie thank you for the observation about me stepping back to empower the children. It's funny but I often will not notice the positive things that I do when working with children and I appreciate your remarks. It was also really nice to know that I was not the only person who was reluctantly nervous about blogging and had to think about technology in a completely different way. Padma thank you for your thoughts and your provoking questions, I replied on the blog to some of your questions that I have answers too. I would like to thank you for your ideas on extending the children's knowledge by visiting a dental clinic. The experience would be great as well as introduce a whole new aray of technology tools. Rachel thank you for your feedback regarding the children flying kites and your thoughts. I appreciate your ideas to extend the childrens knowledge in a simple activity. As Padma has mentioned in her final reflection this process has given me so much constructive thought and positive recognition to the things that I am doing. It is important that we acknowledge the good and positive things that we do which I often do not, focusing on what I felt I did wrong. I have really enjoyed being able to read and comment on my colleagues work and vice versa with a live on going feel of support and new ideas. Thank you to everyone in class for sharing your fantastic thoughts and work.     
Reference List:
Berk, L. (2007). Development through the Lifespan: 4th Edition. U.S: Pearson Education, Inc.
Ministry of Education. (1996). Te Whāriki: He whāriki mātauranga mō ngā mokopuna o Aotearoa: Early childhood curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.

No comments:

Post a Comment